We are asking branches and electoral councils to call for four reforms:
- Endorse the 2010 Review and demand it be implemented in full
- Direct elections for Admin, General Secretaries, Presidents
- Union delegates to Conference to be chosen by direct election by union members
- Anti branch stacking: membership fees to be paid direct to head office
If you or your branch considers there to be other, more important reforms, then please pass motions calling for those reforms. And then post those motions here and we will publish them and those that agree will support them. If we are all pushing in the same direction, it does not matter if we push on different points.
1. Endorse the 2010 Review and demand it be implemented in full
We endorse the findings of the 2010 National Review and demand that its Recommendations be implemented in full.
2. Direct elections for Admin, General Secretaries, Presidents
The structure of State Conference shall be changed so that the following positions are filled by postal ballot of the rank and file membership of the party and the rank and file membership of all affiliated unions, with each constituency having a 50% weighting in the final outcome:
- President, Senior President and Junior Vice Presidents
- General Secretary and Assistant Secretaries
- All elected members on the Administrative Committee
3. Union delegates to Conference to be chosen by direct election by union members
That representation at State Conference by each affiliated union shall be conditional on the union selecting its delegates to Conference by direct election by the members of the union.
4. Anti branch stacking
That all members must pay their own membership fees direct to head office. The only exception is for immediate family members under the age of eighteen. Members paying a concessional rate must provide a photocopy of their concession card with payment.
Branches and Electoral Councils that have considered these motions include:
- Bomaderry-Nowra (Passed with Motion 3 Amended and one Extra Motion)
- Sydney SEC (Passed Motions 1, 3 and 4, with Motion 3 Amended)
- South West Rocks (Passed)
- Rozelle-Lilyfield (As worded…)
- Summer Hill (Passed, with Motion 1 amended to be explicit that only the public part is being endorsed)
- Sylvania Taren Point (In spirit)
- Murrah Day Branch (Passed)
- Glebe (Passed, Motion 4 Amended)
- Haberfield (Passed, as worded)
- Erskineville (Passed Motions 1 and 4)
- Enmore Camdenville (Passed, with Motion 2 Amended)
- Double Bay/Bellevue (Passed)
- Katoomba (Motions 1-4 Deferred, Additional motions passed)
- Petersham (Passed Motions 1, 2 and 4, Rejected Motion 3)
- Eastwood (Passed, as worded…)
- Bellinger River (Passed, plus: NSW upper house vacancies to be filled by members’ ballot)
- Mid Mountains Branch (Passed Motion 1)
- Swansea (Passed)
- Ballina (Passed, with extensions)
- Milton Ulladulla (Passed, with extensions)
- Dubbo (Passed)
- Bondi Beach (Passed, with amendments)
- Wentworth FEC (Passed, with amendments)
- Leichhart (Passed, with extensions)
- Darling Harbour (Passed, with Motion 1 amended to be explicit that only the public part is being endorsed)
- Ashfield (Passed, Motions 1, 3 and 4, with 4 amended by deletion of the last sentence)
- Willoughby-Castlecrag (Passed, with addition to motion 2: filling of all casual vacancies to the Legislative Council)
- Alexandria (Passed, with extensions)
- Lithgow (Motion 1 deferred; Motions 2, 3, and 4 rejected).
If your branch has discussed these motions, please let us know what you decided.
See also: ‘All the motions‘