Dear Potential National Secretary,
You are proposing taking on this role at an interesting time for our party, a time when we are widely perceived as having ‘lost our way’, both federally, and in several states.
In Sydney last Saturday, a rank and file meeting of around 300 people voted for four specific reforms:
- Implementation of the public recommendations of the Faulkner, Bracks and Carr Review, without any watering down of its key recommendations
- Direct elections by the rank and file of a range of Senior Party Officials, including General Secretary
- That Delegates to Conference from unions are to be chosen by union members
- That as an anti branch stacking reform members must pay their own membership fees.
The full text of the motions is below, and is available at
Can the rank and file count on your active support for these specific reforms, and for Party reform in general?
As potential National Secretary, what is your vision for the future of the ALP, and how do you expect that future to be realised?
Neil Reilly, Kiama Branch
Samantha Bell, Bomaderry-Nowra Branch
Richard Bournes, Springwood Branch
Trevor Davies, Darlington Branch
Barry Nielsen, Kings Cross Branch
Phil Drew, Leichhardt Branch
Geoff Collins, Narooma Branch
Eric Snowball, Glebe Branch
Sacha Blumen, Kings Cross Branch
Amy Haddad, Black Mountain Branch
Trang Nguyen, Glebe Branch
Rory O’Connell, Ashfield Branch
Donald Townsend, Keilor Downs Branch
John McCutcheon, Kiama Branch
Eric Dearricott, Kyneton Branch
Ben Aveling, Alexandria Branch
1. Endorse the 2010 Review and demand it be implemented in full
We endorse the findings of the 2010 National Review and demand that its Recommendations be implemented in full.
2. Direct elections for Admin, General Secretaries, Presidents
The structure of State Conference shall be changed so that the following positions are filled by postal ballot of the rank and file membership of the party and the rank and file membership of all affiliated unions, with each constituency having a 50% weighting in the final outcome:
- President, Senior President and Junior Vice Presidents
- General Secretary and Assistant Secretaries
- All elected members on the Administrative Committee
3. Union delegates to Conference to be chosen by direct election by union members
That representation at State Conference by each affiliated union shall be conditional on the union selecting its delegates to Conference by direct election by the members of the union.
4. Anti branch stacking
That all members must pay their own membership fees direct to head office. The only exception is for immediate family members under the age of eighteen. Members paying a concessional rate must provide a photocopy of their concession card with payment.